Monday 16 April 2012

Japanese Style Mothers Day Luncheon


Denin said: Japan has always held a special place in our hearts. Especially since it is the country where my husband and I were blessed with the birth of our beautiful son.  Motherhood is a highly respected institution in Japanese society. It is still a sacred responsibility that women are expected to accomplish once married. The other local mothers embraced me into their community and I was honoured to be accepted into their culture.

To celebrate Mother’s Day this year, I wanted to revive the feeling I had when I first saw my son’s face. We opted for a Japanese style picnic luncheon in a park. The design has been brooding in my head for quite some time now. Chiyogami (Japanese paper) and fabric were important inspirations for the designs. I have been collecting and hoarding a plethora of beautiful flotsam and jetsam, from when we were living in Japan and during our recent visit there. The picnic mother’s day luncheon was to celebrate with a typical every day bento, consisting of onigiri (rice balls), tamagoyaki (sweeten omelette) and steamed broccoli. After lunch, we enjoyed green tea with hand painted chiyogami pattern cookies and cupcakes.

We finished our picnic with some delightfully colourful Japanese lollies.  My son was so excited to give me a pretty stylised Japanese necklace and adorable chiyogami wrapped pencils.











Concept, Styling, cookies and cakes: Spoon and Fork http://www.spoonandfork.com.au/
Photography: Teresa Simonetti - http://www.teresasimonetti.com/


post signature

No comments:

Post a Comment

{it's always nice to hear from you}